With cats and kids in the house, our bathroom is always ready for a little cleaning. However, because of said cats and kids, there never seems to be enough time for a deep clean. However, there are a few things you can that you can easily squeeze in and feel like you are at least treading water when it comes to housework. Here are seven little bathroom cleaning hacks that make a big difference in the way the bathroom looks and feels. Each time I go into our main bathroom, I try to complete at least one of these tasks. Each one probably only takes a minute or two. And by keeping the surfaces tidy and clean, it will be much faster and easier to really clean the bathroom.
7 Simple Cleaning Tricks for the Bathroom
- Hang fresh towels. Throughout the day, our hand-towels are used as everything from napkins to mops. Swapping them out frequently is a must for us. And before you throw that used towel into the laundry basket, consider tip #2.
- Use a cleanish towel to wipe down the mirror and fixtures. True, I cannot use this little hack when the towel has been used by my *helpful* kids. Though I guess I shouldn’t complain too much because at least they are attempting to mop up their yogurt spills or wipe peanut butter from their little hands. But I’m lucky enough that I have two places for hand-towels and one is out of reach from the kids. Most of the time, hand-towel used by the grown-ups is clean enough. to get rid of a few water drops or small toothpaste specks on the mirror and/or fixtures.
- Before you close the toilet seat and consider swishing the toilet brush around the bowl. Bonus points if you add a squirt of soap into the bowl before you swish. I generally don’t have my bathroom cleaning supplies sitting out so I just use a squirt of hand-soap from the counter, making it really easy. And you’ll thank yourself if you have an unexpected bout of food poisoning
- Take a piece of toilet paper or two and wipe over the top of the toilet tank and the back. Then toss into the toilet and flush it away. Bonus points if you also wipe the rim of the seat.
- Look at the counter and check that everything is in its place. If you see an empty toilet paper roll or an empty toothpaste tube, put it in the recycling or trash bin.
- Straighten out the shower curtains or align the shower doors. In many smaller bathrooms you can see the shower doors or curtains from the hallway, so take 20 seconds to fix this potential eyesore.
- If you have a few minutes, bring in the vacuum cleaner. Or if you are not dealing with a lot of hair and fur, the dustpan and brush. Then clean around the baseboards and paying special attention to the corners.
- BONUS TIP – Replace any burned out lightbulbs in the fixtures. It won’t take long, but it will make the room look brighter and cared for. If you don’t have the correct light bulbs on hand, take a moment to add them to your list, so the next time you are at the store, you’ll know exactly what to grab.
Now it’s your turn! What simple tricks and hacks to you have to keep your bathrooms looking nice in between cleanings?